It can be tricky to determine what can be composted and what cannot. There are multiple composting techniques that have varying allowances for materials that can be added, and every composting site has different specific needs. So the simplest way for us to help you know what can be composted with Brown’s Greens is to give you a well thought out list. If you sign up for our composting services, you will receive a document of this list for your kitchen so you can always refer back to it!
WHAT GOES IN
- All veggies and fruits
- Eggshells and nutshells
- Coffee (brown filters ok) and Tea (paper tea bags ok)
- Baked goods/pasta/all grains
- Grass clippings/straw
- wood shavings/sawdust
- Livestock manure
- Dead plants
- Any other once living yard waste that is NOT contaminated with paint, stain, pesticides, metal, plastic, or anything else in the list to the right.
- Any other food scrap that is NOT highly salty, oily, fatty, or included in the list to the right
WHAT STAYS OUT
- Liquid waste
- “Compostable” cutlery/dishware
- “Compostable” bags
- Twist ties, rubber bands, large produce labels
- Any food waste that is fried, high in salt, oil, or fat (chinese takeout, pizza, etc)
- Dog, cat, or human poop
- Animal carcasses
- Treated and/or stained wood
- Paper and cardboard, minus specified coffee filters and tea bags listed to the left.
We hope this helps you get started and always feel free to contact Brown’s Greens with any questions!